SCECHs....What you need to know!
State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) are State approved in-service, workshop, training, or conference credits that can be utilized to renew professional certifications and licenses issued by the Michigan Department of Education, Office of Professional Preparation Services. SCECHs are available for MANY of our professional learning opportunities at C.O.O.R Intermediate School District.
A total of 150 SCECHs, DPPD or the completion of six semester hours of approved College Credit Equivalent (or combination of each), within a five year period, is now needed for renewal. School administrators are required to complete six semester hours, 150 SCECHs, (or combination of these), every five years for continued employment. School Counselors must earn 25 hours in career exploration, or which 5 hours must be in military options, as well as 25 hours in college preparation and selection. every 5 years as part of the total 150 hours of required professional learning.
Who is eligible to use SCECHs for certificate renewal?
Based on Michigan's certification criteria, individuals who hold the following certificates and licenses are eligible to obtain and use SCECHs toward certificate/licensure renewal:
- The Professional Education certificate
- The Occupational Education certificate
- The School Psychologist certificate
- The School Guidance Counselor license
- The School Administrator certificate
- The Provisional Education Certificate
- The Interim Occupational Certificate
Traditional Professional Development
Traditional programs are face-to-face conferences, meetings, or workshops offering professional development focused on a specific topic or related topics.
Year-Long Nontraditional Professional Development
In addition to traditional workshops, seminars, trainings, and conferences, the State Board of Education has approved the following non-traditional professional development activities eligible for SCECH credit. Click on the following activity to obtain criteria for eligibility and participation verification form.
What non-traditional activities are eligible to receive SCECHs?
- Mentoring an Administrator/Principal
- Mentoring a School Counselor
- Mentoring a School Psychologist
- Mentoring a New Teacher
- Supervising a School Counselor
- Supervising a School Psychologist
- Supervising a Student Teacher
- Serving on a School Improvement Team
- Serving on a School Committee
District Provided Professional Development (DPPD)
Please review the following:
- Register, in advance, for the COOR PD Event
- Attend each session from beginning to end and complete required activities
- Sign in on an official form and place a check in the column for SCECHs
- Submit $5.00 fee-check or money order made payable to COOR ISD with the class name in the memo section (some classes may have a larger fee)
- If you have not registered with the MOECS, you must do so as soon as possible.
- Complete an online evaluation ASAP, preferably within 30 days of email notification in order to receive your SCECHs. If you do not receive an email within two weeks after an event, you can also log into your MOECS account and look under the "evaluations due" section. If it is not listed there, please contact Shannon Rea.
- If you have questions relating to MOECS, you may email them directly at MOECSSupport@michigan.gov or call the help desk at (517) 373-3310. Phone support is available Monday-Thursday from 7:30 am. - 9:30 am. and 2:30 pm.-5:30 pm.